Search This Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Not According to Plan

Today went exactly as I had planned, right utyg6grtfdddddddddddp until 9:30am... then everything just broke away and did it's own thing. I woke up especially early in order to catch Julia on skype before she went to bed. (That is still a funky concept for me: I'm getting ready to start today while they're still finishing yesterday.) I hadn't talked to her since I got here and so that was a really great way to start everything. The girls left for school, with Kathy in accompaniment, and I played with Grishka (their cat... who is completely adorable... he plays fetch better than our dog!). Then I headed out to meet Kathy at the 'banca' (bank) to cash in those pesky traveller's cheques. The lady had never even seen one before, and she was quite excited about the whole thing. (Her coworker was not so enthusiastic. I think she didn't appreciate us ruining her morning routine.) After that, we went to the money changing office to get the euros converted in lei. Then I came home and sorted out the donations from my own personal money, and everything was just peachy. The sun was shining, I finally had money, and the jeans I bought yesterday were a perfect fit. I decided then and there that I have been doing way to much complaining on this blog of mine and I should endeavor to write only the lovely things that happen to me. Then, I ate some chocolate. *INSERT OMINOUS MUSIC HERE* Well, long story short, the chocolate was bad. I spent the rest of the day lurking around the bathroom. Codi and Andrea, while being sympathetic, decided that my brain was the issue and we had immediate surgery in order to remove my brain with a tennis racket. Kathy phoned Vera and told her I would not be coming into the hospital today, and she may do the same tomorrow. By dinner time I was well enough to eat something, followed by dishes and playing 'gradi' (preschool) with Andrea while Kathy took Codi to basketball. We then sang some songs, read some books, and tucked the girls into bed.

Because nothing exciting happened today, I'm going to write a bit about Oradea... or at least, what I've seen of Oradea so far. It has the population of a small city, but when you're walking down the street if feels like a large town. All the building are made of old brick with red shingle roofs and the streets are narrow. Is some places the sidewalks are really only accessible on one side of the road at a time, and the side changes multiple times over the course of a block. In other words, you take your life in your hands whenever you try and walk on the sidewalk. Being a pedestrian here requires a certain aggressive demeanor and state of mind that I find rather difficult. The drivers will not give you an inch unless you absolutely demand it. But, oh, the architecture here! It just has an whole atmosphere that I can't really explain. The churches, the schools, the banks, everything. Even the buildings that are breaking down have a certain... something. I promise there will be pictures soon. I'm waiting for a sunny day to take them. Maybe Sunday.

4 comments:

  1. that mess on the first line is supposed to be the word 'up'

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope you're able to find a reliable chocolate source. ;) and that your tummy stabilizes.

    i remember being so struck regional european architecture... a narrative going on within... and character from place to place, with material relating to surroundings in a way that doesn't happen here...as we really aren't surrounded by quarries and forests of vinyl siding! :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful to hear actual details of your experience, Kelsy. I'm so glad to hear that you've been able to go and to experience life from a very different perspective. You're a regular on my prayer list now as well as your parents who are probably feeling very out of sorts without you nearby. Hug those babies for all of us...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bad chocolate?? International incident. Maybe think about nipping over to Brussels...might be worth the trip. (Perma-praying...)

    ReplyDelete